Resilience – What does it mean? Why do I need it? How do I go about improving resilience?
Resilience – defined as the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties or the ability of a substance or object to spring back into shape.
Resilience – I must have it in here somewhere… *digs deep into bottomless pit (aka handbag)*… It is difficult to imagine being able to do my job without it.
Resilience – I need it everyday. I require the ability to recover the situation every time someone gives me bad news. “The new roof is leaking again.” “My screen isn’t working.” “I need that by this afternoon.” “I can’t come in today.” And that is even before I have my feet under the desk!
Resilience – I need to get out of bed every morning and be ready for whatever the day might throw at me.
Improving Resilience – How do I improve mine?
- Believe in your own abilities and seek continuous development
- Be optimistic and embrace change
- Have clear goals and purpose
- Look after yourself
- Treasure your friendships
Resilience – Affirm to yourself. You are strong. You can do this.
Resilience – have tools at the ready when you are at a low ebb.
- Ask yourself ‘What would *insert hero* do?’
- Get a few minutes of fresh air, breathe deeply
- Telephone ranting buddy
- Promise yourself a treat later
- Write the problems down, give them to paper
Resilience – Enjoy the sensation of the bounce.
Resilience – How do you nurture yours?
PS My *insert hero* is Jean Luc Picard. Who is yours?